Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Starting a new adventure - in Healing

Life throws adventures at us that we do not choose for ourselves.  I wish I could choose my own adventure, and while that is possible I do not get to choose them all.  Now I am starting the adventure of recovering from my second blood clot before the age of 40.  
I now have to change from the woman who was planning to walk a half marathon, to the woman that is planning to walk around the block again some day.  I can't do that yet, I can walk to the mailbox though.  I can go a little farther even.  I am learning my limits, and I hate it.  Tell me what not to do and I ask why, if I don't like your reasons I push back.  I don't like the reason I can't walk like I used to and I really want to push back.  I know that would be bad though so I am trying not to.
I am working with my doctors and my nutritionist and I will get better.  I want to try to log my progress here with this forum.  I have heard many stories of people starting a blog and changing their lives.  I want to change my life.  I have gained and lost so much weight and if you ask me how I did it, or what I ate, I couldn't tell you.  I hope that by logging it here I will be able to look through my past and remember the lessons I learned so that I will not have to keep re-learning them.
My lessons I remember for now.
1. Nobody is going to steal your food, so you can take your time eating it. - I tend to buy myself healthy snacks and then polish off the whole box like I am afraid if I don't get them all down they will be gone.  I think this is due to the fact that I have "purged" the kitchen of snacks out of my kitchen before.  I am not going to do that to myself again, so I can chill.
2.  Only eat when you are hungry.  - Ever since I was a small child I thought there would be severe consequences when you skipped a meal.  I don't know what I thought those consequences were but they would be bad.  I have learned that I can, and at times should, skip a meal and that nothing bad will happen to me.
3. Take it a step at a time.  - Just move!  You don't have to walk around the world for it to be worth taking a walk.  Sometimes just walking to the mailbox is enough.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I'm like that too. If I were a dog, I'd have to wear a training collar around the food dish! Great writing...look forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you have a fantastic attitude despite the situation you're in. Keep on pushing through - it sure sounds like you'll be successful!

    ReplyDelete