Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Recipe # 6 Chicken Teriyaki

This is another recipe from a group of cards.  I did actually complete this collection, back in the late 90's but this may be one of the first recipes I have actually made.  Are you sensing a trend? Yes, I have a lot of barely used recipe books, thus the desire to learn a new recipe a week, to make the books useful.

Chicken Teriyaki
Preparation Time: 15 minutes plus marinating (at least 30 minutes)
Cooking time: 10-12 minutes
Serves 4

Ingredients
3 tablespoons sesame seeds
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce (can you tell this is a healthy recipe?)
2 tablespoons honey (again, substituted corn syrup and one packet of stevia, since I know that oriental food sometimes needs that little bit of sweetness)
1 teaspoon oriental sesame oil (optional)  (I opted out since I did not want to buy something just for one recipe)
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each), cut into 1-inch chunks.  (I used 3, 6 oz breasts, I know, what a rebel)
Green onion for garnish (yeah right)
1. In a medium bowl, combine sesame seeds, soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, and pepper.  Mix well.  Set aside 2 Tablespoons of marinade.  Add the chicken to remaining marinade in bowl and stir to coat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap; refrigerate for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

2. Preheat the broiler.  Remove the chicken from marinade; place on a broiler pan.  Discard the marinade in bowl.  Broil 5 inches from heat, basting with reserved marinade and turning once, until no longer pink in center, about 10-12 minutes.

3. Garnish chicken with green onion.  Serve immediately.


Again it was getting pretty late at night when I was wrapping all this up so I went ahead and divided it up for lunches.  As you can see I have my trusty little Ricey in the background making some rice to go with this.  I did overcook the chicken a little because I forgot to set a timer and, like I said, it was late, so it was a little on the dry side.

The Verdict

Even though I overcooked it and it would up dry, it is still pretty tasty.  I will definitely make this recipe again in the future since it works out great to put in the freezer and take for lunches at work during the week.  I love making my own microwave meals!

No comments:

Post a Comment